High performance coprocessor boards of the 80s and 90s - was Re: SGI ONYX

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 22:10:30 CDT 2016

On 4/20/16 6:57 AM, Toby Thain wrote:
> On 2016-04-20 5:12 AM, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Intel's effort at RISC. Didn't go so well for them, but did inspire
>>> the name of Windows NT and was the original host platform for the
>>> then-new OS.
>>>

>> The i860 was a neat little bugger. There was an iPSC/860 done by Intel
>> which would be a fun box to save/rescue/run with its own variation of
>> Unix.
>>

> There were some coprocessor cards that used it as well - I see them on
> ebay periodically. I think the YARC used AMD 29K... was there an
> i860/i960 version as well?
>
> I'm changing the subject because the subject of RISC coprocessor
> boards has already been interesting to me; I owned the NuBus Levco
> Translink II (for Mac II family) with four TRAM slots for transputers.
>
> Also going to mention the BBC Tube coprocessor here. Which had an ARM
> version, iirc.
>
> --Toby

Ok, this one's from the 70s, and it's a large, external unit rather than
a single board, but I have a Floating Point Systems AP-120B, essentially
an array processor for fast floating point operations. There's a bit of
information here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPS_AP-120B

I'd love to get it running one of these days, just need +5V at 100A and
a set of interface boards for a PDP-11...

- Josh