High performance coprocessor boards of the 80s and 90s - was Re: SGI ONYX

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Wed Apr 20 10:32:24 CDT 2016

On 20/04/2016 16:00, Toby Thain wrote:
> On 2016-04-20 10:27 AM, Pete Turnbull wrote:
>> It did indeed - I have one.  Also a couple of 6502 CoPros, a 65C102, a
>> 32016 and a pair of Z80s, which were nice in their day.
>
> Nice collection. I'd forgotten about the 32016! What software ran on
> these respective processors?

There was a collection of "scientific" software for the 32016 - things
like Spice, some maths software, and assorted CAD stuff; basically the
software licensed for the 32016 ACW and the Master Scientific, which
came later.  The Z80 CoPro ran CP/M - real licensed CP/M 2.2, not the
bastardised often-not-compatible "CPN" lookalike offered by Torch, and
came with GEM and various office software.  The ARM CoPro originally had
little software beyond TWIN (the Two Window Editor), assembler, BASIC,
and utilities.  The 6502 variants - including the 65C102 that was used
for the Master Turbo - just ran whatever you'd otherwise have on the
Beeb itself, albeit with a faster clock, larger memory space, and in
some cases a "High" version that lived right at the top of memory.

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull