Seeking immediate rescue of full-rack SGI ONYX near Northbrook, IL

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Tue Apr 19 11:07:46 CDT 2016

> I agree. I'm just glad I don't have to find the space or lift the damn thing
> :-)

Compared to IBM, Sun big iron, Cray big iron the SGI Origin 2000/Onyx2 and
Challenge XL/Onyx are very friendly fridge sized computers! They roll
easy, they're lightweight and not overbuilt. They use a simple 220v or
240v or whatever outlet, and have bad-ass bargraphs on the front LCDs of
the CPU load.

I think they're the best of the newer large computers!

> The Onyx is rad. However it's cool-to-weight ratio suffers with comparison
> to an Indy or O2. So, that's why I own those, instead. The Tezro is a bit
> in-between. It's about 2x to 3x the size of an O2, but it's still smaller
> than an Onyx. However, that Onyx sounds like it's decked out with the
> RealityEngine and the A/V option board (Sirrus) that was really fun &
> flexible before digital video ruled.

If I could find a cheap Tezro I'd have to add it to my collection.

The Octane (green, R12K, dual video) is heavy as hell. I mean, it's
innocent looking and plastic and stuff. But oh man, so heavy. I gave away
the dual 24" widescreen CRT 1920x1200 SGI monitors that came with it :-/
They were getting flyback arcing to frame. At the time I didn't know what
it was but now after reparing arcade monitors I could remediate it.

--
Ethan O'Toole