Fan bearing lubricant was Re: WD-40 (again)

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 19:28:10 CDT 2016

"I use white lithium grease for that.  It may not be the proper stuff,
but it's worked for years for me."

White lithium isn't by any means ideal, it's too sticky. It's carried by a
solvent so it runs freely and can be sprayed, but once the solvent kicks
off, some of it's almost like paint.

But when the shafts are so tiny, run at low RPMs - hence very low surface
speeds - it more than likely works out ok, just as you have found. As in
most cases, just about any form of lubrication is always better than
running dry. The most important thing is to keep the bearings free of dirt,
swarf and other contaminants.