Getting an ibm as/400

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Tue Apr 12 20:59:35 CDT 2016

Devin,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 02:09:00PM -0400, devin davison wrote:

> A local recycling center called me and said they are to pick up an ibm
> as/400 mainframe from a working environment.

An AS/400 is a mini, not a mainframe.

> I left a deposit and am scheduled to go pick it up in the next day or so.

Congratulations!!

Where I work we've continued to use the name AS/400 for our newer boxes,
even though IBM keeps changing the name.

At home I have a small 9406-270 in my living room.  I think it's technically
an iSeries.  Sadly I didn't get license keys with it, so I have to reinstall
the OS every 70 days.  It's powered down at the moment and overdue for a
reinstall.  It also has some flaky memory, but seems to recover gracefully
from the memory errors without crashing.  I'd love to have a true AS/400, if
I had the room and power for one.

> I am not even sure of what all it comes with or what can be run on the
> machine. Any advice in advance on what to expect?

Depending on its vintage it would run OS/400, i5/OS, or IBM i.

> From the description it sounds like it comes with some terminals and
> printers too. could be interesting.

As others have said, be sure to get all the cables, etc.  The terminals and
printers will be connected with twinax cables.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.