Why do good floppy disks go bad?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Apr 8 00:46:31 CDT 2016

On 04/07/2016 10:06 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:

> And it's not likely the binder, fully cured epoxies are also very
> stable. Note disks do not have the tension problem that tape has.

There, I have to respectfully disagree.  Floppy disks do not use an
epoxy binder, but usually a polyurethane-based one. (Most are
proprietary formulations).  Hard disk coatings usually use an
epoxy-phenolic binder, but they're not on a flexible substrate.

Polyurethane isn't forever and tends to be somewhat hygroscopic.

--Chuck