Structured Fortran - was Re: Self modifying code, lambda calculus

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Sep 23 11:17:19 CDT 2015

On 09/23/2015 03:39 AM, ANDY HOLT wrote:
>> From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
>>> After all, languages are supposed to expose features
>> of the underlying machine to the programmer.
> Many believe that the purpose of languages is to HIDE (abstract) the underlying
> machine.

Well, as far as I know, the 1401 series does NOT have binary
data types, or floating point.  Just decimal integers, where
an implied decimal point can be placed.  I think this would
make a POSIX compliant C rather difficult to do.  But, of
course, you could just implement what came naturally to the
machine.  For a POSIX compliant implementation, you'd just
about have to generate some kind of code interpreted by an
interpreter that ran on the 1401 directly.

Jon