Thoughts on manual database design?

steven at malikoff.com steven at malikoff.com
Wed Sep 23 01:38:04 CDT 2015

Instead of cooking up another completely custom inventory management schema, you might consider adhering to Dublin Core for some more modern
schema conventions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Core

For the dbms engine I would use MariaDB over MySql (but with some of the MySQL tool chain) as I prefer code to remain outside the clutches of Oracle:
https://mariadb.org
It's a drop-in replacement, runs nicely and the HeidiSQL management client is very useable.

Also, why are you restricting your field lengths so much? This is the 21st century, you can afford to be a bit more generous on those VARCHARs :)
Final thing, are you going for a completely normalised database? (ok, I haven't analysed your schema to any great extent)

Steve.