Structured Fortran - was Re: Self modifying code, lambda calculus

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Sep 22 14:49:36 CDT 2015

On 09/22/2015 12:36 PM, ben wrote:

> PL/M in FORTRAN made CP/M possible.
> That to me seems more important than Pascal in Fortran.

I think that's an overstatement.  There were plenty of 8-bit OS-es
written in assembly.  That Gary did the first version of CP/M using PL/M
was more a matter of convenience.

In other words, CP/M (if you consider it to be an important innovation)
would have happened, PL/M or not.  I mean that it's not a lot of
code--development time would not have been much different.

When DRI tried to foist PL/I on its developer community, that played out
much less successfully.

--Chuck