Is tape dead?

Benjamin Huntsman BHuntsman at mail2.cu-portland.edu
Mon Sep 14 22:02:54 CDT 2015

I work for a VAR, and we've sold a fair number of IBM TS7650G ProtecTIER VTL's backed by Storewide V7000 disk.  It basically emulates a bunch of LTO3 drives and cartridges, and does excellent deduplication when writing.  If you have two, they'll replicate.  It makes a great backup and DR solution and is a fairly straightforward shoehorn into existing tape-based workflows.  Then again, there is still lots of tape out there, and as was pointed out earlier, the technology is always improving, and rapidly.  Not everyone is looking to go disk-only, either. (yet)  The more data you have to store, the more and more tape makes sense.

-Ben