Keys resurfaces

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Fri Sep 4 11:45:33 CDT 2015

Saw this in AFC

Another water damaged collection heading to the landfill

--

Subject: Houston (and everywhere else), we have ... an opportunity
From: hlctminfo at gmail.com

My name is John Keys, and I incorporated the Houston Computer Museum in May=
  2003 as 501(c)(3) non-profit.

I've been good at collecting things.  I've have various PDPs, an HP3000, SE=
L 810A, SDS 910, and a Cray YMP/EL8.  I have an IBM 083 card sorter and sev=
eral keypunchs (models 024, 026, 029 and 129).  I have over 1,200 books and=
  manuals.  And those are just a small sample.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that it's all in storage, in my home, or in a 3,300 square-=
foot warehouse.  I don't have exhibit space.  You might have heard that it =
rains in Houston;  the warehouse has flood damage that needs to be mitigate=
d.

I haven't been good at getting the 21st century to work for me, and this is=
  where you come in.  I need a functional web page, one that makes it easier=
  for people to donate online.  I need a contact email link that works.

If you can help me get this done, I'd be grateful.

What's at stake?  I'm 70 years old, and if I can't make a go of this, all t=
hat equipment will get recycled or hauled off for scrap or dumped in a land=
fill.  And all of that documentation will go with it.

If you can help me with web hosting and web page design, let me know.  Advi=
ce is nice -- I've had lots of it -- but what I really need is people who c=
an step up and do what I haven't done. I need help in cleaning all these ar=
tifacts that were damaged by the flood. Contact me by email discuss how you=
  can help.

If there are enough people out there who care about this stuff, we can do t=
his.  You don't have to live in Houston.  You don't have to live on the Gul=
f Coast.  It's even OK if you don't live in Texas.

To donate online, go to http://www.hlctm.org/services.htm and click on "Don=
ate."

To contact me, send email to hcmjkeys at yahoo dot com.

Once we have something presentable, come visit.  And thanks very much for r=
eading this.

John Keys