Front panels

Lawrence Wilkinson ljw-cctech at ljw.me.uk
Sat Oct 31 17:03:06 CDT 2015

On 31/10/15 21:11, Charles Anthony wrote:
> What I don't know how to do is drive 500 or so LEDs.
>
> I am guessing a bunch of shift registers, but I've pretty much reached my
> design limits. I need some guidance on locating and understanding the
> technology to run that many LEDs.
I have made a 60x120mm PCB which drives 64 LEDs using the
MAX7219 or MAX7221 driver. This has a 3-signal link (clock, data,
select/latch) and has a +5V supply.

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/power/display-power-control/MAX7219.html

Here is the bare board. I'm not in a position to supply boards, but
could provide the Eagle or Gerber files for anyone wanting to
manufacture them. I'm also happy to supply the schematics, though
there's nothing too special about them.

http://s14.postimg.org/583oflg35/LED_driver.png

The boards can be daisy-chained so you only need 3 outputs to
drive any number of LEDs (depending on the update rate.)

Lawrence Wilkinson                          lawrence at ljw.me.uk
The IBM 360/30 page                   http://www.ljw.me.uk/ibm360