Oddball question: really small terminals

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 22:43:17 CDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 3:19 AM, tony duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> [HP Palmtops, 95LX etc]
>> Oh those look pretty good; I love the terminal emulator in ROM;
>> doesn't even need an OS, switch it on and it works; that's one of the
>> things I'm after. Shame about the rather nasty looking monochrome LCD
>
> Actually, there is an OS -- MS-DOS -- and it's in ROM too. Along with a text
> editor, address book thingy, HP financial calculator (19B-II a-like, it does have a
> 4 level stack RPN mode) and Lotus 1-2-3. I've never needed to use an application
> other than the ones in ROM on these machines.
>
> The terminal emulator has a VT100 mode (which seems to work reasonably
> well). And plain text, Xmodem and kermit file transfers. I've used it to download
> a file from one machine, then carry the palmtop to a different room and upload
> said file to a different machine if it would be impractical to run a cable.
>
> It is certainly a machine worth considering even if it doesn't meet all your
> requirements at the moment...
>
> -tony

Well I had forgotten I had pretty much what I was looking for in the
Corestore collection already!

http://www.corestore.org/terms.jpg

Two terminals the size of small pizza boxes using external VGA
displays. On top, an IBM 3483 coax 3270 terminal, on the bottom a DEC
VT525 serial terminal.

Now all I need is to find VGA LCD displays about the size of those
boxes - say 10" or 12" diagonal, suggestions??? - and maybe a few more
terminals - and we're pretty much in business!

I still love my VT52s and VT100s and 3278s, but I have space
considerations too for some of these applications! :-)

Thanks!

Mike