Retro Reproduction 2

rod rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 24 03:05:49 CDT 2015

Er..  Wow!
            Ok the process mimics the original production system.
I draw the panel using Inkscape because it runs on windows and Linux,
produces .svg (scalable vector graphics) files and its free!!

As sources I use photographs, Scans (The best way because there are no
lens errors) and drawings from print sets.

There’s usually a dominant layer or color.
For example pdp8's often have lines and text in white.

So what I do is to draw all the layers one per color.
As these will become the positives for the silk screens they are always
black.

To do check prints I have a HP DesignJet T120 (24" wide roll feed)
Printing on reproduction clear film would generate the master positives.
However the girls like to be able to tweak things so they get the .svg
files.
They have a printer all set up with repro film anyway.

I also have a plastics supplier who will not only laser cut the blanks
to size
but do holes and cut outs as well.

So armed with my drawing files on disk and a pile of blanks its off to
my silk screen printers.
If its a repeat order then they go and get the ready made screens. I own
them and they keep them for me.

If its a new job then they make the screens. The screen on its frame
gets hand coated with a photo sensitive
liquid which dries in a short time. The coated and dried screens are
then exposed through my masters.
Where the black lines where can be washed off with water and hence let
the ink through when printing.

The only real skill so far is getting the right amount of resist on the
screen.

Now for the skilled bit.
The place is run by two very nice girls age about mid twenties.
They both have art degrees and are qualified colourists.

Getting the colors matched and getting the right mesh size saw them
sit down with their ink and screen rep and after about an hour I'm
told came up with the answers.

They can match way beyond a just noticeable difference and
being female (and there's no doubt about that) don't suffer from color
blindness (which I do)

The final stage is the actual printing. They use vacuum printing tables.
They are about five feet square and about a foot deep. Also very heavy.
There’s a pattern of holes in the bottom and a domestic vacuum cleaner
is used as an exhaust pump.
They also set up corner references to get each panel in the same position.
The screens are mounted on a sliding bar arrangement .
Getting this lot to register is a highly skilled job and not for the
amateur.

I can duplicate most panels (metal as well) but as they say in the USA
"custom costs"

I'm setting up for my next run now. (artworks done) Its for PDP8/e (two
types) 8/f and 8/m
I'm in the drawing stage for 11/45 11/55 11/70 (common blank size)

So given a scan and measurements  and a panel that's not too big
(max to fit on a 19" rack box) I can have a go at most types of panel.

Now we need a bezel production person/group, switches source and lamp
panel producer.
3D printing for the switches possibly?

For one off panels I'm looking at flat bed printers. So far way to
expensive.

I hope this sets out what can be done.

Rod Smallwood

"If you take and do not give then soon there will be nothing more to take"