PDP2011 board

Don North north at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 23 01:00:42 CDT 2015

On 10/22/2015 10:09 PM, ben wrote:
> On 10/22/2015 10:54 PM, Don North wrote:
>> For PDP2011 direct compatibility then the path of least resistance is
>> probably
>> the DE0-NANO with CycloneIV for $79. I have several; nice little boards
>> for experimentation.
>> You can get it from Adafruit ($99) or Digikey as well. Direct from
>> Terasic has high shipping cost.
>
> A quick look at the PDP2011 site says that is it is too small
> for the optional PDP 11 features.

Not sure what you mean by 'too small'. The boards have the same number of
header pins ((2x20)x2). You do need to wire up RS232 serial and SDcard to the
DE0-NANO (burning about 8 or so pins) since they are not on the baseboard.
And of course on the smaller board you don't get all the LEDs and switches.

The CycloneII part on the DE1 board has fewer logic elements than does the
CycloneIV part on the DE0-NANO, and has less embedded RAM blocks as well.

His source has configuration files for the DE0-NANO so it is probably just a matter
of recompiling.