Oddball floppies for trade - 8", HS (outer edge), weird cutout

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 12:50:05 CDT 2015

Did the disks for the original IBM 23FD "Minnow" floppy disk also have
the sector/index hole near the edge, like the Memorex 650/651?  The
Minnow was used as a read-only device for loading microcode, and the
disks were only factory written. I haven't seen an actual Minnow disk,
but since Memorex was one of the companies making plug-compatible
equipment, I wouldn't be surprised if they designed the 650/651 medium
to be mechanically interchangeable with the 23FD disks.

The Memorex 650/651 supported read/write use, and had more than twice
the formatted capacity of the 23FD, so the on-disk format clearly
didn't match the 23FD.