Opening a DECserver 90M External PSU

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Sun Oct 18 12:30:21 CDT 2015

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015, Robert Jarratt wrote:

> I had another go today, but I fail to see how you managed to pry this
> thing apart without causing much more damage than appears in your photo.
> What kind of tool did you use?

My usual technique to deal with these sort of brick and wall-wart PSUs
that are glued together is to carefully squeeze their plastic sides in a
small padded vise to break the glue joint. With practice, you can split
one of these open with little to no damage. Don't be tempted to use a
mallet as you could with really old linear transformer wall-warts though.
The g-forces generated by a mallet will break components off of a pc board
in a switchmode PSU.