8-sector decpacks?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Oct 15 12:58:10 CDT 2015

> On Oct 15, 2015, at 1:37 PM, Josh Dersch <JoshD at LivingComputerMuseum.org> wrote:
>
> Does anyone have any idea what drive/system an 8-sector decpack would have been used with?  We have a few of them on our shelves at the LCM and I can't find any reference that mentions 8-sector packs.  (Just the usual 12 and 16-sector ones.)
>
> They're clearly labeled "decpack 1100 BPI - 8" and the sector ring marks out eight sectors.  These are RK05 (IBM 2315) style packs.

Half density?  I vaguely remember an RK05 style drive at half the density.  RK02?  Or am I mixing it up with RP02 vs. RP03?

The peripherals handbook says that the RK05 recording density is about 2000 bpi, so 8 sectors would be 256 12-bit words at half density, i.e., half the sector slots of the regular PDP8 pack.

	paul