Computers in Election Vigils - take two

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Oct 9 09:38:07 CDT 2015

> On Oct 9, 2015, at 7:50 AM, Alexandre Souza <alexandre.tabajara at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> lucky you. In Brazil we use vote machines made by diebold, which are as
> weak in security as a carton box. And no independent entity can ressearch
> its failures.

Very convenient for those who run the government that runs the election process.

In the state where I live the setup (by law, as I recall) is a nice hybrid.  Paper (mark sense) ballots, scanned by machine.  But anyone can look at a ballot and see what it says, and you can recount them by hand if necessary.  So the security of the counting machines is not actually critical because they aren't the final authority.

	paul