PDP-11/10 repair started

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Mon Oct 5 10:44:42 CDT 2015

On 2015-10-05 17:24, Henk Gooijen wrote:
> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht----- From: Johnny Billquist
> Sent: Monday, October 05, 2015 4:53 PM
> To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
> Subject: Re: PDP-11/10 repair started
>
> On 2015-10-05 13:50, tony duell wrote:
>> The 11/10 generally uses an M930 terminator.
>
> Right. However, the SACK signal exists, even on the 11/10.
> And if that signal is floating, or non-working, you can still have
> problems. So, termination is still important.
> The additional feature of of the M9302 is just to catch if BG signals
> are sent out when noone was actually requesting an interrupt.
>
> So your comment about open grant chain locking is relevant, but do not
> negate the claim that you need to make sure you have terminators in
> place, and that signals are carried through the whole backplane.
>
> Note that my original comment was not about BG/BR continuity as such,
> but termination and signals running through the whole bus. BG/BR is just
> one part of that.

>>> You most likely want to terminate the other end as well.
>>
>> It may not be a perfect electrical match, but if all you have is the
>> CPU backplane,
>> or even a BA11-K full of backplanes, I am certain a terminator at the
>> CPU end only
>> will get the machine doing something, even running programs correctly.
>> Totally
>> ignoring the front panel is not caused by a missing far-end terminator
>> on such a
>> small machine.
>
> The 11/10 do not have a built-in terminator at the CPU end. You are
> supposed to have two M930 on the backplane.
>
> Johnny
>
> =========
> Sorry for the delayed answer, I don't have email available at work -:/
>
> I have one M930 in slot 3 position A-B, because that is the termination
> for the processor. I am pretty sure (not 100%) that I also have an M930
> in slot 9 position A-B. To be complete, this is the current state.
> slot 1 A-F : M7260
> slot 2 A-F : M7261
> slot 3 A-B : M930   C-D : G7273
> slot 4 A-B : M9970  C-D : G7273
> slot 5 C-D : G7273
> slot 6 empty
> slot 7 empty
> slot 8 empty
> slot 9 A-B : M930
>
> Slot 6-7-8-9 is for core memory, respectively G235, H217D, G114, M8293.
> The documentation says that a G727 should go in slot 3-4-5 position D.
> I hate those "knuckle-busters". Plus, I am lazy to check NPR continuity
> on the backplane, so I installed G7273s instead of G727s. Always good.
>
> I totally forgot that the GT40 is based on the 11/05. Great tip in case
> it turns out that I have a "different" CPU module! You never know ...
>
> When I got the 11/10, all boards were in their correct location, so after
> the goof up of wrong placement, somebody more knowledgeable placed the
> boards in their correct slots. I guess he hoped to see a working system.
> [...]

Ok. I got the initial impression that you only had the CPU in. Thanks
for the expanded info.

When you don't have any core memory, I wonder if you might need bus
grants in those slots as well...? It's not as if they aren't a part of
the Unibus... Memory sits on the Unibus, just like everything else,
remember? Needs to check further if any special wiring are in place for
those slots, though.

	Johnny