flash (or ide) storage for unibus 11?

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Tue Nov 24 16:02:40 CST 2015

On 2015-11-24 16:35, Al Kossow wrote:
> On 11/23/15 11:46 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
>> Your native interface have the additional problem that in addition to
>> requiring people to write their own device driver for any OS usage, it
>> will be rather difficult to get booting from it, since that
>> require special support.
>>

> There is no reason you can't have two simulated controllers, one small
> enough and early enough to boot a range of operating systems (RL02?), then
> another which exports a simple block-level interface which would be
> simple enough to easily write drivers against.

True. But having your system on an RL02 is still no fun. It's a rather
small disk, which cause some headache for larger systems.

> RL02 is also interesting because there was a 22 bit version for qbus.

That's one definition of "interesting". :-)

> I'm trying to remember if DSD had extended block length or partioning
> for their controllers.

Not sure about it, but what I normally observed was that 3rd party
controllers using large disks for some DEC disk usually put several
logical disks on one physical disk. You could call that partitioning.

	Johnny