flash (or ide) storage for unibus 11?

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Mon Nov 23 11:55:11 CST 2015

On 2015-11-23 18:11, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Nov 23, 2015, at 10:10 AM, David Bridgham <dab at froghouse.org> wrote:

>> However, once we get a prototype doing something interesting, we were
>> talking about looking around for people interested in helping out.
>> We'll do a couple disk controllers but if someone wants to add others,
>> great.  Especially if someone wants to add MSCP.  We're happy to skip
>> that one ourselves.
>
> I can imagine.  MSCP is a large effort.

Indeed. But you have code like the stuff in simh, which will tell you
how it is supposed to work.

> For a classic/straightforward programming interface, the Massbus disks (RP04 and successors) are a good choice.  That will take you just over 500 MB, if you emulate the layout of the RP07.

Unfortunately, support for the RP07 is lacking in most OSes. I don't
know about RSTS/E, but in RSX, there are some odd holes in there,
suggesting that they never used them much in real life. I did get it to
work, but I had to write my own formatting module for FMT, among other
things.

Otherwise it's the RM05 at 256 Meg, if I remember right. But all those
disks are also expected to expose the actual geometry of the disk. While
fairly straight forward, it do expose you to a rather low level
interface, where you need to do a lot of calculations all the time.

	Johnny