QIC capstan

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 17 12:43:23 CST 2015

> http://terrysrubberrollers.com/
>
> Terry has rebuilt about a dozen rollers for me over the past 2 years.
> You'll need to remove the roller and send it in to him with a money order
> (he doesn't take checks or credit cards), but he'll do a fantastic job for
> about $40-50 per roller.

Any suggestions for those of us who would rather do it ourselves?

In my case I have 6 or 7 HP tape drives (an assortment of 9142's, 9144's and
a 9145) and 4 TU58 drives to do (at least). I suspect I could do it a lot cheaper
than around $500 and I don't want to send irreplaceable (and in the case of HP
drives, delicate (as it includes the tacho disk) parts around the world,

The important one for me at the moment is the TU58. I have some suitable
aluminium alloy rod to make a new hub if need be, I've measured up the old
roller (the important dimension is the outside diameter -- 5/8") [1]. Any suggestions
as to what to use as a 'tyre' ?

[1] Amusingly for a DEC machine, the motor spindle is 3mm diameter, not an
imperial size.

-tony