x86/DOS system backup via rs232?

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 18:12:36 CST 2015

On Nov 13, 2015 9:13 AM, "Johnny Billquist" <bqt at update.uu.se> wrote:

> On 2015-11-13 12:36, william degnan wrote:
>>
>> I used to use a program called Laplink, which came with special serial
and
>> parallel option cables to transfer files from one dos  machine to
another.
>> It was useful to "image" DOS computers with it.
>

> Ah, thank you. I have been trying to remember that name since this thread
started. I've used extremely little DOS, but I remember seeing LapLink in
there. I think it could even bootstrap itself across a serial port to a
different machine, as long as DOS was installed. And then it could copy
pretty much everything else over.

I have a copy of the laplink software should anyone need it.  If the cable
for parallel is just a null modem I suggest a person in this hobby
definitely add laplink to the bag of tricks available.  You just fire it up
on both ends ll.exe ...  and you'll see a directory tree of target  machine
on the right, the source machine on the left.  Pick files and copy.  Copies
recursively etc.