Wanted: stand for NeXT monitor

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Sat May 30 10:41:37 CDT 2015

Well, numbers don't lie; I guess I just remember the NeXT as a slower
machine because I was always playing with it side by side with SGIs or
something :O It actually stacks up pretty well, here's the results of my
rough little morning benchmark if anyone wants to know :O

NeXT config was: Color Slab, 040/25, 32 MB RAM, NeXTstep 3.3, 5400 RPM
drive, 24 bit color, 1280x1024
Mac config was: Quadra 800, 040/33, 20 MB RAM, Mac OS 7.5.3, 5400 RPM
drive, 16-bit color, 800x600

Not totally a fair contest since my Q800 can't sling video quite like my
NeXT can, however, the two configurations aren't totally out of line with
one another ... I measured:

Boot-up time:
NeXTstation Color - 1:24
Quadra 800 - 1:35 (although many extensions are installed - could likely be
reduced 10-20 seconds)

Browser launch time:
NeXTstation Color - ~0:22 (OmniWeb)
Quadra 800 - ~0:25 (Netscape Navigator 3.x)

Page load and render, my personal main page:
NeXTstation Color - ~0:15 (OmniWeb)
Quadra 800 - ~0:12 (Netscape Navigator 3.x)

Page load and render, my Definity PBX at home page (fairly long text)
NeXTstation Color - ~0:43 (OmniWeb)
Quadra 800 - ~0:30 (Netscape Navigator 3.x)

Page load and render, my Nortel PBX at home page (a little bigger yet)
NeXTstation Color - ~0:57
Quadra 800 - ~0:30

So the color Slab is actually about neck and neck with the Quadra 800...
considering it's around 25% less clock rate and is moving a lot more video
data than the Quadra, it actually keeps up pretty well. The Quadra does a
little better rendering "larger" pages but that's just the test I chose and
we all know OmniWeb isn't the fastest thing in the world ... Not so bad
after all. I guess this vindicates the NeXT :O It really isn't any slower
than a contemporary Mac and can in fact be slightly quicker in some cases.

Best,

Sean