54 TK50 tapes on eBay

Jon Elson jonathanelson at email.wustl.edu
Wed May 20 15:41:51 CDT 2015

> On 2015-05-20 21:06, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>>  And my 9-track
>> tapes are rotten to the point of uselessness too. They still worked most
>> of the time about 10 years ago.

It largely depends on storage conditions.  I recently read some of my
old backup tapes from the mid 1980's with no problem.  The drive did a
little bit of backing up and retrying, but I got 100% data recovery.
I've had some other tapes that were not stored in proper conditions
where all the oxide fell off and collected on the tape heads.  (I'm
referring to 9 track tapes, here.)

Jon