NYT writer wants to write about creative collectors

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun May 17 00:47:56 CDT 2015

> I received this email - contact Alex below if interested:

> I'm a reporter for the New York Times and I'm working on a story about vintage tech/computer equipment,
> particularly when used as items to be displayed, or as home-decor.
>
> Do you know have any collectors of vintage tech who have used it in any creative way as objects around the
> house?
>
> If you have any thoughts on the topic, I'm all ears. Thanks!
>
> --
> Alex Williams
> Reporter
> The New York Times
> 212 556 1158

OK ,my house is full of vintage computers (and I really need to re-arrange some of them...) but I do not
regard them as decorative objects. They are computers -- to run programs. As I have said here before,
an HP9830, or a PDP11, or... remains an interesting machine if the boards and backplane are just sitting
on the bench, or are somehow mounted in a wooden box. An empty HP9380 or PDP11 case is of little
interest (other than as a part of a restoration project). What the machines look like is of very little
concern to me.

I suspect a number of people here have similar interests.

-tony