Dead RF31 DSSI Disk..

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Mon May 11 11:43:27 CDT 2015

Glen Slick wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Charles Dickman <chd at chdickman.com> wrote:
> >
> > DSSI drives are intelligent and can be accessed from VAX firmware utility.
> > I have done this with KFQSA, KA650, and RF71. Drive has internal operating
> > system with a command prompt, diagnostics, etc.
>
> The RF drive built in utilities and diagnostics are described here:
> RF Series Integrated Storage Element User Guide
> Order Number: EK-RF72D-UG-008
> http://manx.classiccmp.org/collections/mds-199909/cd3/disk/rf72dug8.pdf
>
> Note however if the fault LED is on you might not be able to access
> the drive at all to run the utilities and diagnostics:
>
> Theory of Operation 2-33
> If the controller portion of the ISE is not
> functioning, the fault LED on the drive module and the
> fault LED on the operator control panel turn on (Figure
> 2-19). Also, the ISE is not visible on the DSSI bus.
> The failing component, in this case, is the drive
> module itself, because it houses the controller
> electronics.

Yes, I have this document open in xpdf...an I *think* that not the
controller, but something with the drive itself is bad.
I think the controller is ok since it clickers a time with the heads..

Can I check what's wron just with the console chevron prompt w/o opreating
system?#The Drive has the ID 0 so I think VMS resides there, next thing is
that for sure the licenses run out for sure and I know almost nothing about
VMS.

Regards,
Holm

  www.tsht.de, info at tsht.de, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741