360/50 microcode listing

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri May 8 06:30:08 CDT 2015

    > From: Jon Elson

    > Well, first, rotary converters draw a LOT of imaginary power (in other
    > words, they have an awful power factor) and so the line current can
    > become MUCH higher than you would expect.
    > We tried to rig up a phase converter scheme to run the motor-generator
    > set on a 370/145 in a guy's house, and it did NOT go well. he only had
    > a 60 A 240 V service, and the imaginary current was over 60 A!

Had to Google 'imaginary power'... Not a lot of experience with high-power AC
stuff! :-) ('Imaginary power' is probably not the best term to use, because
there are actual currents involved; I like the 'reactive power' name better.)

The article I read said that in reactive load which is high in inductance
(which is, I assume, the source of the high reactive load in rotary
convertors - or am I confused - a common happening, I concede :-), judicious
application of capacitance can reduce the reactive load. Why isn't this used
with rotary convertors to reduce their reactive load?

Any idea what the active and reactive powers/currents were in that attempted
installation?

	Noel