RL02K Pack Reliability/Characteristics

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Mar 31 08:37:57 CDT 2015

    > From: Lyle Bickley

    > I have had packs on rare occasions which when I first obtained them had
    > a few records which were unreadable - and a clean reformat made them
    > 100% error free.

Err, I thought RL02 packs came pre-formatted (at least, the low-level stuff
like sector headers, etc), and could not be field re-formatted? Or are you
simply talking of a high-level re-format (i.e. the file system), which might
write all data blocks to zero or something, thereby getting rid of the
un-readable contents of such blocks?

    > From: Mike Ross

    > It's high time someone collated all the 'new hardware' projects out
    > there ... should be a one-stop shop where info on all this stuff is
    > held.

The obvious place to put it is on our Wiki, of course... (Hint, hint... :-)

	Noel