Huge IBM 1800 find (and need some help)

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Mar 21 22:23:27 CDT 2015

On 03/21/2015 05:15 PM, Jim Stephens wrote:

> On 3/21/2015 12:50 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
>> OK, a quick search shows the 2311 was indeed hydraulic!
> The University of Missouri, Rolla 9 drive 2314 was
> hydraulic, and on night a drive's actuator unloaded into
> the pack area, and took it out, but the damage from that
> major failure was contained w/o the pack or actuators
> exiting the enclosure.  however the debris took out all
> the packs and drives.

This one wasn't when I was there.  I think we also had a oil
spraying event there, but it was relatively contained.  We
had one at Washington University, also that might have
contaminated several spindles before they got all the packs
unloaded.
I think this one is fairly quickly detected if the computer
room is occupied, it causes a strong oily smell that is
quickly spread by the A/C system.

Jon