Huge IBM 1800 find (and need some help)

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Mar 21 11:30:10 CDT 2015

On 03/21/2015 03:17 AM, Johannes Thelen wrote:
>   CPU weights 907kg, why? Is power supplies so heavy or is there lead poured to structure ;) ?

These cabinets are built of HEAVY gauge steel, with a lot of
heavy steel framework inside.  They intentionally built them
heavy to withstand rough shipping.  The cabinets should
separate fairly easily, just mark the locations where cables
plug into backplanes, etc.  Tape up all dangling cables.  My
guess is that the individual cabinets won't be all that
heavy, a couple beefy guys should be able to work it down
the stairs safely, but it will be a rough, sweaty job.

Yes, if this has a 50 Hz linear supply, the power supply
WILL be very heavy.  It may be possible to remove the power
transformer to lighten that cabinet.

Jon