Recommendation for a PROM burner

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Sun Mar 15 17:27:58 CDT 2015

I suggested the data I/O 29B originally, so obviously I'm a fan.

To whomever suggested the Andromeda unit; I had never heard of that one and
it DOES support the early bipolar proms that I frequently encounter with
pdp11, HP, etc. stuff (with an additional adapter). I'm impressed, it looks
like a really nice unit.

That being said, I think it's pretty pricey. $299 for the base unit, plus
$179 to do the 82Sxxx bipolars and I'm basically at $500.

Plus it doesn't have the wonderful retro keypad of the 29b ;)

I don't know... if I had to do it all over again (given that a data I/O 29B
with unipak2 seems to go for about $400+ on ebay), I'm not sure which I'd go
with. The Andromeda sure is nice... but I already have the 29B :)