Where to get a Vax or microvax

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Tue Jun 30 16:30:48 CDT 2015

william degnan wrote:

> I recently got a Microvax 3100 and a VAX 4000-200, very pleased with how
> easy they are to work with.  I have had a lot more issues with
> Alpahservers.  VAX/Aphas running one flavor or another of openVMS.
>
> I agree with Ian, think the 3100's are a good starter VAX.  My 3100 system
> has two SCSI external drives to beef it up.  You get what you pay for, try
> to find something in nice shape that works and pay a little extra.  My
> opinion.
> Bill

At one time, it was possible to get considerably more than you pay for.  I've
got several VAX 2000 / 3100 / 4000 systems.  All were freebies / scrounged /
rescue machines.  A few have battery corrosion issues but most of them work
fine.  Unfortunately, ebay, along with the sources drying up has probably
greatly reduced the likelyhood of anything like them turning up for free now.

If you do get something in this line, remove the battery and put up with
it not keeping time or boot settings when switched off.

Regards.
Peter Coghlan.