Spacewar paper has been published!

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 07:14:30 CDT 2015

It gives me great pleasure to inform you that the Spacewar paper I wrote
with research from Martin Goldberg and responses from many people on this
list has finally been published.

The paper, "Space Odyssey: The Long Journey of Spacewar from MIT to
Computer Labs Around the World" is available for free on Kinephanos, a
bilingual Canadian journal about film, games, and new media. The paper
explores the use and distribution of Spacewar after its creation at MIT and
provides a detailed look at several computer labs, including those at
Harvard, University of Minnesota, University of Michigan, and of course MIT
and Stanford.

http://www.kinephanos.ca/2015/space-odyssey-the-long-journey-of-spacewar-from-mit-to-computer-labs-around-the-world/

The paper was presented last year at the International History of Games
Symposium in Montreal. The slides are available here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B22gYL7qHwW9dWMwQkNiWFlCMDA/view?usp=sharing

Thank you to everyone who participated in the survey and provided help for
our research.

Martin and I would appreciate any feedback you have on the paper, including
anything we might have missed or gotten in error and any new insights or
memories you wish to share. Note we are still interested in collecting data
through our survey, which anyone here is welcome to participate in.

http://ataribook.com/book/spacewar-questionnaire/

Enjoy!

-Devin Monnens

--