Difference between MBASIC51 and 52 for CP/M?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Jun 28 20:59:47 CDT 2015

On 06/28/2015 06:12 PM, Alexis Kotlowy wrote:

> Yes, they work fine under existing systems. I'm trying to figure out why
> it doesn't work on the system I'm implementing. I'm emulating the
> current record data in the FCB so even if a program modifies the extent
> or current record without a random access call, it still loads the
> correct sector from the file. So far, it works with WordStar 3. I'm
> still implementing write support.
>
> I've compared my emulated FCB to the one generated by a CP/M system and
> from what I can tell, the CR/EX/S2 data is the same. I've had a look at
> the CP/M source, I don't see anything unusual there. Really, the only
> thing that's different is the allocation data.
>
> I'm following the CP/M-86 convention for converting between FAT file
> system data and CP/M FCB's. It's documented here:
> http://www.seasip.info/Cpm/dosplus_fat.html
>
> Knowing me, it's something silly or trivial, but until I find it... :)

So what does your FCB look like when CLOSE is invoked by the program?

It was almost 30 years ago, but I recall that 22NICE translates FCB
actions in ordinary handle calls--with a heckuva lot of code translating
FCB actions into handle-type file actions.  So probably of no particular
help.  WordStar is largely CP/M 1.4 compatible, IIRC.

--Chucj