1990 Era computer room

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Wed Jun 24 00:14:00 CDT 2015

On 6/23/2015 9:39 PM, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 03:42:54PM -0700, jwsmobile wrote:
>> II do have an 80 column Dataprinter that looks like the one in the photo,
>> not a Data Products.
> There were two different companies, Data Printer and DataProducts.
>
> Confused everyone even at the time IIRC.
>
> mcl
The only reference I could find that separated them are to google for
the printer ribbons.  I find a lot of the companies who list ribbons
don't purge their databases of even the most ridiculously old products,
and they list models.

I don't have my printer or manuals at hand, but the printer I referred
to that looks like the ones here was about 24"  on a side. Mine was
effectively a table top unit, but there were ones with a bottom feed, etc.

Also a very large one which was full size, 14" and just as high speed
might be the one  in the photo.  It didn't come w/o a full floor
cabinet.  I acquired both, but sold the larger one to a company doing
mailing labels for magazines, and also leased the smaller one to them
for a while.

Both could turn out 5" post cards at in incredible rate.  We had to do a
bit of engineering to catch the output properly, as it was over 1000 lpm
with just a return address and mailing address.

Also I don't recall the Data Products ever scaling as fast by
restricting columns.  At least our 2230, 2260 and 2290 UC only and 96
character set printers didn't.  Got the same speed regardless of the
columns on those Data Products printers.  They were drum, as were the
Data Printers, but apparently the hammer logic vs. the line feed was not
coupled as far a speeding up with fewer columns.

Thanks
jim