using new technology on old machines. Was: PDP-12 Restoration at the RICM

Huw Davies huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Wed Jun 17 04:09:27 CDT 2015

> On 16 Jun 2015, at 7:27 am, Robert Jarratt <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> And I saw an Avro Vulcan flying this weekend, this year is the last time
> that will ever happen. Two weeks before that I watched a General Electric
> Lightning blast down a runway that I was standing right next to (it wasn't
> allowed to take off). These are experiences that deserve the word "awesome”.

Funny I was discussing just this pair of planes last night - I last saw them fly in 1971 at RAF Shawbury. Of course they were both in active service then and I remember watching the Lightning do a supersonic pass with much joy.

Getting a little closer to the topic at hand, eventually parts will no longer be available for older computers so the decision will have to be made to either retire them or use more modern components to keep them going. Somewhat ironically the ones that can be maintained in ‘original' condition for longer may be the mechanical ones where replacement parts could be fabricated whereas valves and SSI TTL may not be able to be economically produced.

Huw Davies           | e-mail: Huw.Davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"