using new technology on old machines

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Mon Jun 15 17:11:37 CDT 2015

> On Jun 15, 2015, at 14:19 , Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
> I think Tony's point was that someone who's into vintage computers ought to
> have a stock of suitable parts for them.

Yes, that'll likely be true once they have been in the hobby for a while. But for somebody who has gotten into it recently, and otherwise hasn't had reason to touch a DIP packaged part since the early 1990s (even while being a full-time electrical engineer and full-time electronics/etc. hobbyist), it can't be taken for granted that they have a parts drawer full of misc. 74LS parts. I have a vast junkbox, and I regularly order electronic components both professionally and for my hobby... and I still don't have a lot of TTL parts on hand.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/