First VAX-11/730 VMS Boot! (was: Re: VAX-11/730 %BOOT-F-Unexpected Machine Check)

Richard Loken richardlo at admin.athabascau.ca
Mon Jun 15 11:41:58 CDT 2015

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015, Mark J. Blair wrote:

> How do I respond to tape mount requests on the same console where I'm
> running BACKUP? When I get the request asking whether to create a new tape
> volume, it doesn't seem to respond to terminal input.

First, initialize all the tapes you might need using the same label as you
will use when you run backup.

Second, run your backups as a batch job and then VMS does not expect you to
reply to requests for new tapes, he just expects the tape to appear.

Third, use the "/noassist" parameter - that makes it clear to VMS that the
operator has been laid off and is now working as a greeter at Walmart.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Unix System Administrator : "Anybody can be a father
   Athabasca University                            :  but you have to earn