First VAX-11/730 VMS Boot! (was: Re: VAX-11/730 %BOOT-F-Unexpected Machine Check)

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sat Jun 13 15:42:35 CDT 2015

I'm having trouble with the password reset procedure (but will resolve it by the end of this message). When I run AUTHORIZE, I get this:

$ run authorize
run authorize
%DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image SECURESHRP
-CLI-E-IMGNAME, image file PIKE$DQA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSLIB]SECURESHRP.EXE;2
-SYSTEM-F-PROTINSTALL, protected images must be installed

I tried installing my new OpenVMS license pak to see if that would influence it, but it didn't seem to help. Took about an hour for my terminal emulator to slowly type in that 2400 line license file!

Ok, let's try rebooting with the new license pak installed... Nope!

>>>@DQ0GEN
>>>D/P/L F26200 86
>>>D/P/L F2620C FFFFFFFF
>>>D/P/L F26200 6
>>>D/G/L 0 00A80003
>>>D/G/L 1 3
>>>D/G/L 2 3FB86
>>>D/G/L 3 0
>>>D/G/L 4 0
>>>D/G/L 5 1
>>>E SP
G 0000000E 00000200
>>>L/P/S:@ VMB.EXE
>>>S @

SYSBOOT>  SET VAXCLUSTER 0

SYSBOOT>  SET /STARTUP OPA0:

SYSBOOT>  SET WRITESYSPARAMS 0

SYSBOOT>  CONTINUE

%SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping the SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
%SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT SYSDUMP.DMP on System Disk successfully mapped
%SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping PAGEFILE.SYS on the System Disk
%SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT SAVEDUMP parameter not set to protect the PAGEFILE.SYS
   OpenVMS (TM) VAX Version V7.3     Major version id = 1 Minor version id = 0
%WBM-I-WBMINFO Write Bitmap has successfully completed initialization.
$ set noon
set noon
$ spawn /nowait sys$system:startup.com
spawn /nowait sys$system:startup.com
%DCL-S-SPAWNED, process SYSTEM_1 spawned
$
%DCL-W-NOLBLS, label ignored - use only within command procedures
 \SYS$SYSTEM:\
%DCL-W-PARMDEL, invalid parameter delimiter - check use of special characters
 \.COM\

$ set default sys$system
set default sys$system
$ run authorize
run authorize
%DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image SECURESHRP
-CLI-E-IMGNAME, image file PIKE$DQA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSLIB]SECURESHRP.EXE;2
-SYSTEM-F-PROTINSTALL, protected images must be installed
$

Ok, now let's try the slightly different procedure at http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/204 <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/204> with the vaxcluster stuff spliced in... Much better! Much longer boot time, lots of complaining about terminated licenses (previous attempt to install them must not have worked), but I was able to reset the password. I'm not sure what was different about the other proceduer (maybe the /nowait flag?), and some of the lines don't even look applicable to a non-workstation.

Now running the license pak script again, and the output looks a lot more promising.

Forward progress continues!

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/