Pertec Tape Drive Interface Musings

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 04:00:13 CDT 2015

What else do you get then? I can see from the IBM 2400  manual here:-

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/24xx/A22-6862-4_2400_Series_Magnetic_Tape_Units_OEM.pdf

that write checking is accomplished by reading. There really isn't anything else you can do when a write fails...
.. well you can retry the write...

> But you get long gaps when you stop/start.

Not on Vacuum Column drives. The columns provide enough mechanical buffering to start and stop within the Inter Record Gap.