Rescue update: DEC RC-25s + / was Re: DEC cartridge ID

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 8 00:08:25 CDT 2015

> That should be trivial. I've never laid hands on an RC25, but there
> must be a microswitch that detects when a cartridge is installed, and
> is accessible for bodging...?

Yes, and don't do it!

In every fixed/removeable drive I have worked on (OK, never an RC25, but...)
the heads for both the fixed and removeable disks are on the same positioner
carriage. With the result that if you load the heads without a removeable
cartridge in place, those heads will touch each other, which is a good
way to ruin them.

-tony