First Computer Store

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Jul 24 14:51:58 CDT 2015

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015, Paul Koning wrote:
> Was that really first?  I remember Rainbow Computing, in Northridge.
> If it was later than that, it certainly was not by much.

There are many "photo-finish" and "photo-start" events in this industry.
Many, if not most, "first"s in computers had overlapping development
times.  I remember a few times where the setup staffs at Comdex were
frantically trying to get their booths together in order to be the first
one to boot up their machine, in order to claim to have introduced it
before somebody else.  In the end, it is only the big money people whose
claims get listened to - Adam Osborne with $100K? of chrome and black
plexiglass, or a 10x10 booth across the aisle made out of flush doors and
file cabinets?

Is "FIRST" based on
design?
prototypes?
prototypes being misrepresented as production machines?
first public demo?
first trade show?
first sale?    preorder?
first shipped?
first delivered?

Such differentiations obviously are petty, but have always played a part
in almost every "FIRST" claim.