Linear Power Supply (Conversion Equipment Corp) from a basic four 510

Armin Diehl ad at ardiehl.de
Sun Jul 19 16:43:32 CDT 2015

Yes, that is all correct. The first machines used by Basic Four (later
MAI) were Microdata machines. Basic Four released BB1 (Business Basic
Level 1) and BB2 on these machines. These were the “blue” ones, e.g.
http://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home/equipment/mai-basic-four-model-1200

Schematics for these are available at
http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/basicFour/

Later they delivered BB3 and BB4 based on the 1300 series cpu that may
have been developed by MAI (or are these “only” optimized Microdata
designs ?). These are the “Orange” ones like this one:
http://basicfour.de/mai510/pics/small/index.html

I have scanned the schematics for the 1300 cpu, they are in the Service
Manual System 200/410 starting on page 166:
http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/mai/BFISD8035_System200_410_ServiceManual_1981.pdf

I have two of these, one system 210 equipped with a 14” harddisk (Priam
6650-30) and a system 510 equipped with 2 trident t80 drives.

Business Basic was their “operating system” on these machines. The basic
had multi user and multi tasking capabilities as well as support for
keyed, indexed sortfiles, ….

Later they ported this on the S10 (2x z80 cpu, one main and one video
cpu). MAI bought the hardware design as well as the CP/M 2.2
implementation on that machine. BBM (Business Basic Micro) could be
booted from a copy protected floppy. This implementation had all the
capabilities BB3 had (multiuser and multitasking worked as well). Later
they added a harddisk to this system (is was originally equipped with 2
80 track floppies)

The first machine they completely developed by themselves where the MAI
2000, based on a 68010 cpu. They licensed Unos from Charles River Data
Systems and implemented their business basic on this Unix compatible
realtime system.

I have a working model 2000 and started to write a emulator for that
machine.

Regarding the 1300 CPU, i would really know more about compatibility /
similarity between the 1300 and the Microdata 1600. Both are
microprogrammed and it may be (and I assume) that there are differences
on the microcode level. May me the macrocode (correct ? I mean the level
interpreted by the microcode) supports some similar code.

My eprommer can not read the 512x8 roms were the microcode is stored. I
have already build a avr based reader on a breadboard to read out the
proms but before removing the roms from the cpu board I want to have a
backup of the readable part of the harddisk.

I have tried to boot the 210 beginning of this year, after a lot of
retries the system booted to the basic prompt but while starting to
write a dump program the machine hung and did not reboot.

Have to do more tests without the harddisk (but what can I do without
the cpu documentation ?).

--

Grüsse
ad at ardiehl.de