PDP 11 gear finally moved

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 19 09:23:04 CDT 2015

I have rarely seen static damage to electronic parts. I can imagine
that if I were in Nevada during winter time, I might see more. There
were times when, even with a key to be the discharge point that
my arm still jumped.
On parts, the ones I've seen that I could definitely attribute to static
were, VFets with no zener input protection and the CMOS parts,
4051, 4052 and 4053.
The VFets were killed with soldering irons that someone cut the
ground wires so I couldn't really say it was static in the normal sense.
I doubt any power supply could ever be damage from a discharge
to a output lead. The ratios of capacitance is too different. The human
body just doesn't have enough capacitance to mean anything to
a power supply filter capacitor.
Now, if your talking lighting as the source of static, I've even seen
those static protection parts blown off boards.
Now that is static damage!
Tinker Dwight