Time to dig out some of my DEC XX2247 keys

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 22:17:00 CDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Ali <cctalk at fahimi.net> wrote:
>> Surely any competent locksmith could turn out one of these for less
>> money, complete with the stamp...

The key is "easy" (from the right place).  The stamp is a little
harder these days, since not everyone has the stamps.

> Maybe on the DEC keys but trying to make a key for an IBM lock proved impossible (i.e. make a key from the lock - not copy a key). Most lock smith I talked to said they did not do that kind of work.

The entire point of "XX2247" is that's the code that a locksmith needs
to cut a key from a blank.  They need an ACE code cutting machine.
You have to go to a "real" commercial locksmith, not a hardware store
that copies house and car keys.

I've done it.  ISTR it was around $8-$10 for one key.  Might be $15
now.  Copying pretty much always cheaper than code cuts, but you have
to find someone that can cut ACE tubular keys at all (vending
machines, etc).

-ethan