Reproducing old machines with newer technology (Re: PDP-12 at the RICM)

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Wed Jul 15 19:56:02 CDT 2015

Saul is indeed cited in the ACM article,

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=365671

I know that Purdue had some folks that did their own maintenance, and
sure, by the late 1960's one could certain pick them up cheap - the gold
scrappers were not quite the issue they became later.  I know this
because, besides the 7094 II that I did some work on (including
replacing a germanium transistor with a modern silicon one at one
point), the U. Wisconsin Chemistry department had a 7090 (oil core) on
the 9th floor.  Some folks from Purdue came up at one point and helped
fix a problem with it.

Around 1975 the IBM 1410 and the IBM 7094 II we played with at UW were
sold to a company in Ohio - or at least pieces were.  Paul Pierce and I
went back to that same company in 1998 and recovered some of the IBM
1410 and IBM 709x tapes that he lists on his site - Paul has an amazing
setup where he reads the tapes *analog* using a 7 track drive, and then
post-processes the results to de-skew and recover the data.

JRJ