Reproducing old machines with newer technology (Re: PDP-12 at the RICM)

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Wed Jul 15 13:11:51 CDT 2015

I remember when U Wisconsin ECE got their PDP-11/20 and I saw DOS
FORTRAN get stuck for the very first time.  I told the more senior
student who was responsible for getting things going, preparing
documentation, etc. that the machine was in a loop, and never coming
out.  He laughed at me, claiming there was no way I could know that.
Bzzzzzt.  Wrong.  Tee Hee.  That machine is now in my personal collection.

(PDP-11 DOS tended to scramble file system links and get stuck like that
- which inevitably required reloading the operating system disk - an
RC11 that still ran just fine when I last spun it up a year or so ago).