Reproducing old machines with newer technology (Re: PDP-12 at the RICM)

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Tue Jul 14 23:16:03 CDT 2015

Yes, the S/360 had packed decimal - but much more limited in length, and
no wordmark concept.

The 7070 and 7080 were contemporary with the 1410, not after it.  They
did not follow it.  While data representations were somewhat similar,
the instruction formats were very different.

he 7080 (which apparently fixed a 7070 design which made it an orphan
pretty quick) was announced in January 1960, and the 1410 in October of
that same year.   What 7070 and 7080 actually followed were the 705 and
650.  They were also different from the 1401/1410 in that they used
fixed length instructions, rather than the variable instructions used by
the 1401/1410.

https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/dpd50/dpd50_chronology2.html

In the 7000 series, the 1410 equivalent was the 7010 - architecturally
compatible, ran the same software, but implemented in 7000 series
technology.  It came along in 1962.  So that was really the last one to
be introduced of its ilk.

Other than clones and the like (e.g., from folks like Honeywell), I'm
not aware of any other machines with a similar architecture to the 1401
and 1410.  Name them?

By 1968 the System/360 had essentially toasted them all.

JRU